« Home | welcome! » 

Sunday, December 04, 2005 

The Pebble

Ooh, she was a snot, that little girl, a real Veruca Salt. "Christmas is to celebrate the birth of baby Jesus" a busy body informed me. "Oh," I replied, thinking of the Little Golden Book that we had growing up with the pictures of the manger and Mary. That book was long gone, and I knew I wouldn't be replacing it. No problem, I thought, I'll research it and I'll write a version of the Christmas story. We can read it every year; it'll become a family tradition. You have to understand, with a preschooler around, I was trying to look ahead.

Now, how does the Christmas story go? I think they were in Bethlehem. Was that in Nazareth, like Nazareth County, or was Nazareth another town? I never had a clear sense of it from growing up, so, here's my chance!

First off, thank goodness for Religious Tolerance.org. The first sentence on that site at the time said "This is a large religious web site which promotes religious freedom, tolerance and diversity as positive cultural values." It's a great resource for research no matter what you believe, putting aside the 'positive cultural values' part.

What comes to mind when you think of Christianity? Jesus in robes, and Christmas. Maybe Easter, too. So why hadn't this story been fixed in my mind?

Well, go check out: http://www.religioustolerance.org/xmas_lib.htm

It is the opinion of the essayist that the Christmas story as described in the two Scriptures of Matthew and Luke could never have happened.

I was so shocked to read this. Shocked! I did more research, found I agreed with it, and let the implications settle in.

Brought up Catholic, I had stopped going to church once I was allowed to stop. I was pretty sure there was neither god nor heaven, and bold enough not to baptize my daughter. But yet I hadn't taken a critical look at that old belief system. Kids do wonderful things for you, they make you grow in improbable ways.

Well, to finish, at that time I thought I could salvage my Christmas Story. From my notes:
"Although the story of Jesus' birth has been lost, we still celebrate his birth because of some of the things he said at that time that were pretty radical, like 'treat others the way you want them to treat you' [next year, find more things he said]"
A few days later, I broke the third metacarpal in my hand, so I put it away. When I finally got back to it, an even larger surprise awaited me.

Continued here



minor edits (spelling, add link) 12jan2006

Funny how even as adults we take so much of what we were taught as children 'to heart' and never question it. I have only recently come to the conclusion, based on my own research and logic that Jesus probably never existed at all. Even though I have been agnostic since my late teens, I had never really tackled that question.

It is great to have the freedom within yourself to question EVERYTHING and reach conclusions based on reason.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm the freethoughtmom from New England. Welcome!
  • The word rational means having the ability to reason. Reasoning takes time. Giving yourself the space to think is practically a luxury in our society.

    My father is a logical engineer, my mother a caring nurturer. My handwriting with my dominate hand resembles that of my father, the other, my mother. I feel lucky to have both sides to draw from.
My profile

Previous posts

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates