« Home | Bullies affect us all » | so long Judith » | Lippy kids don't deserve respect? » | Corporate Interests Dumbing Down Elementary Studen... » | The Pebble » | welcome! » 

Saturday, December 10, 2005 

Who's got morality?

When it looked like the Roman Catholic Cardinal Bernard Law in Boston was going to be prosecuted for his part in covering up sexual abuse among his priests, Pope John Paul II gave him a promotion, in effect getting him out of the county. Even though the Catholic Church continues to act as though the sexual abuse problems aren't really a big deal, I'm glad Pat Oliphant doesn't seem to agree.

As far as I can tell, the only change the church has done since the story broke in a big way three years ago is to put in place a review board. It tries to settle cases and has had to close up some churches.

To hurt ANY child is unacceptable, the institutional-wide cover-up and denial despicable.

I'm trying to understand how the church can hang onto its 'moral' hat here. Child abuse isn't prohibited by the Ten Commandments, as an example of a moral code, so does that mean you can allow abuse of children and still be 'moral'?

About me

  • I'm the freethoughtmom from New England. Welcome!
  • The word rational means having the ability to reason. Reasoning takes time. Giving yourself the space to think is practically a luxury in our society.

    My father is a logical engineer, my mother a caring nurturer. My handwriting with my dominate hand resembles that of my father, the other, my mother. I feel lucky to have both sides to draw from.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates