« Home | Is a Belief in God Beneficial? Or, What's an Athei... » | Are You a Heretic? part 3 » | Are You a Heretic? part 2 » | Introducing the Horror Roll » | Are You a Heretic? » | Another Theist For Governor » | Go, BigHeathenMike » | First Bishop to Report a Personal Sexual Abuse Enc... » | Background, and Foreground » | No Small Mission » 

Friday, January 20, 2006 

Mean Appeal for a "Christian Nation"

Most people who have my email don't bother sending me those ubiquitous unsigned emails floating around like "Help Pay for Cancer Treatment", "Swiffer Kills Dogs", "Man Overloads Car With Lumber" (actually, this one WAS true).

But I still get them occasionally, like one this appeal for a Christian Nation. The version I received, however was punctuated with a "DID YOU KNOW?" every line and ended with this generous, life affirming message:
"It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore, it is very hard to understand why there is such a mess about having the Ten Commandments on display or "In God We Trust" on our money and having God in the Pledge of Allegiance. Why don't we just tell the other 14% to Sit Down and SHUT UP!!!
If you agree, pass this on"
I wrote back:
Hello! I assume you passed this on so I could see it and not because you believe it! Instead of being convincing, I find this email frustrating because someone thinks they can use make-believe facts and appeals to emotion to stand in place of a logical argument. Quality discourse in our country continues to be AWOL.

Please read this and forward to your friend:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/capital.asp

stardust1954 has a brief post on the Eastern Pediment, points out this article on the Supreme Court embellishments and was kind enough to write this on the "SHUT UP" sentiment:
The American Bill of Rights guarantees to every person in the United States the rights and liberties that are the basis of democracy. The first of the ten amendments that make up the Bill of Rights guarantees the freedom of religion, speech, assembly and petition. Justice William J. Brennan wrote, “If there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable.” The commitment of the principle of free speech has been repeatedly tested beginning with the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798 to the present day intolerance for individual and unpopular opinion.

These people who want to shut us up, are saying they hate the American Bill or Rights and do not support the Constitution of this great and DIVERSE land.
Thanks stardust!!

Wow, that reminds me of what my neighbor said to my husband over the holidays.
Also, what one of the Letters to the Editor in my little local paper said (telling people who don't like "merry Christmas" to shut up). It seems that this is the school of thought for a lot of people. Ahhh... gotta love the Xians...

I really think it's nervy of people send religious/political propaganda to others and then to be rude on top of it! I have received these FWDs and such, not from strangers, but from FAMILY MEMBERS. How about if I were to send atheistic emails to my family members and friends? How about if I added "YOU JUST SIT DOWN SHUT UP" at the end of them? I don't think they would like it very much! The christians in my family get angry and all bent out of shape by me merely telling them to please not send me those kinds of things. If you want to see an xian get really hateful, and p---d off...just ask them to please keep their religion to themselves! AND they keep on sending stuff, and I keep on deleting it. My sister has a religious quote from the bible at the end of her emails, and when I put a Native American quote "A rocky vineyard does not need a prayer, but a pick ax." at the end of mine, she demanded that I REMOVE IT from MY outgoing email messages!

The christian right is not a religious organization as much as it is a political party.

I love your quote, stardust! cassandra, I think I had your story in the back of my head when I wrote that post!

Stardust:
I got 1 from my little sis.
I dealt w/it in such a way, I receive absolutely NO more of those chain emails anymore.
Of course, most of my family thinks I'm a wacko now, but we're not a tight family anyways.
http://biblioblography.blogspot.com/2006/02/law-is-law-lie-is-lie.html

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm the freethoughtmom from New England. Welcome!
  • The word rational means having the ability to reason. Reasoning takes time. Giving yourself the space to think is practically a luxury in our society.

    My father is a logical engineer, my mother a caring nurturer. My handwriting with my dominate hand resembles that of my father, the other, my mother. I feel lucky to have both sides to draw from.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates