« Home | Founding Father Thomas Paine » | Intrinsic vs. Extrinsic Motivation » | The sun god Mithra » | Why Religiosity Matters to All » | Resolution 2006: Bravery » | Joseph Ratzinger participated in the cover-up » | Modern day Three Kings » | The ultimate right brain activity: going to church... » | Religiosity Common Among Mothers Who Kill Children... » | When does the soul arrive? » 

Saturday, January 07, 2006 

Pat Robertson: even the xtians can't watch

Yes, it's true, even the Christians can tell that Pat Robertson isn't All That. This blog title says it all: Would somebody *PLEASE* shut this man up??

mounty also nails the particularly annoying as "xenophobic isolationist NWO-sniffing paranoids". Well stated, mounty!



[updated 06jan08 to link to monty's profile]

One christian's loon is another christian's prophet. - JF

Like I stated in a comment on an earlier post, I think this man has a bunch of screws loose. He really has some kind of problem lately, mentally and maybe related to old age or something and it's really getting worse. It seems like his family should intervene and stop him!

I think stardust is right. There seems to be ample evidence to suggest that Robertson is descending into senility. Interestingly, there's also been talk that Bush is undergoing the same tragic slip into insanity.

Pat Robertson waved God's wrath over the city of Dover PA. These comments have generated many outraged responses all over the net. I don't undestand the reason for all the fuzz. I happen to agree with Pat Robertson, and following his same logic, I wonder what terrible sins have commited his parents for God to punish them with such an idiot son. Maybe his mother had lesbian tendencies and practiced witchcraft while his father assisted meetings of the comunist party. Or maybe much worse, maybe they were critical rational thinkers that didn't accept at face value every crappy idea only because it was popular in their environment. Everybody knows that God hates critical thinking and loves dogma. Whatever the reason, God was all over them in the moment of conception. My only disagreement with Pat is about this Inteligent Design thing, since his mere existence seems to show that God is far more involved in Uninteligent Design.

I only want to say to the folks of Dover that you should be more careful and stop using your brains to think. God didn't give you brains to think, but to fill the hole in your scalp. The real organ that God meant for thinking, as Pat kindly reminds us so often, is the ass.

Take back the I.D. board of education and God will reward you with a bunch of ignorant God-binding children that ansiously await for The Rapture. Now, that's a good recipe to avoid disaster!

FTM, I hope you've learned from Mounty that Pat Robertson doesn't speak for all Christians. He doesn't even speak for most Christians. And he certainly doesn't speak for God. God gave us His Word.—I'd prefer that we not add to it.

The reason comments like Robertson's are so truly dangerous, is that many who hear them will walk away with an improper view of God.

My two cents…

Robertson believes his word is god's word, and uses bible passages to back up what he says. Other varieties of christians take what they want to use from the bible to back up statements that they make as to how they want to see things or to prove a point. The bible can be used to back up violence, death penalty, forgiveness, child sacrifice, ANYTHING. The danger of religion is when people use their religious texts to justify their causes...or when they pull out things to support hate, prejudice and violence.

anonymous, you are a riot. Grab an ID, I'd love to see more of your stuff.

fishfrog, I'm with you on W.Twich,
twitch.

thanks for the clarification (Armchair) Potentate, but to back up stardust's point, what is the proper view of your god? And how do you know?

I've posted some further thoughts back at my original post, but to answer these questions specifically:

"What is the proper view of God?" Wow. Multi-volume works have been written on that topic, by people with much more intelligence and training than have I, but for my part--A proper view of God begins with a thorough reading of His Word. We can't grab the parts we like and trash what we don't. Likewise we can't interpret one part as though it could be extracted from the whole. It must be treated as a unit.—Either the Bible is Truth or it is not. (What trust could we have in something that merely contains truth?)

We don't get to design our personal god according to our own personal preferences.

I'm trying to fit a lot into a brief response, but if you're interested in what my own study of the Bible has taught me, feel free check out my contact info on my site and drop me a line.

The Potentate said... "We can't grab the parts we like and trash what we don't."

Yet that is what all christians do since there is no handbook that comes along explaining exactly what is meant by each passage. Some, if taken literally, can be very damaging, like this passage that is used by many cults to get people to disown their families and follow the ways of the cult: Matthew 10:21 Families will be torn apart because of Jesus (this is one of the few "prophecies" in the Bible that has actually come true). "Brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death."
And yet another: Luke 14:26 "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children,and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

As I have read the bible twice through, once as a christian, once as an atheist, I have found that there are hundreds and hundreds of passages that if taken literally we would be living like the people of Islam...blowing ourselves up, killing even our own children and family members.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm the freethoughtmom from New England. Welcome!
  • The word rational means having the ability to reason. Reasoning takes time. Giving yourself the space to think is practically a luxury in our society.

    My father is a logical engineer, my mother a caring nurturer. My handwriting with my dominate hand resembles that of my father, the other, my mother. I feel lucky to have both sides to draw from.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates