« Home | Joseph Ratzinger participated in the cover-up » | Modern day Three Kings » | The ultimate right brain activity: going to church... » | Religiosity Common Among Mothers Who Kill Children... » | When does the soul arrive? » | A difficult question for Mr. Robertson? » | o'reilly's warriors: any way to give them a clue? » | Why are churches tax exempt? » | Polygamy in theory and practice » | The Avalanche » 

Sunday, January 01, 2006 

Resolution 2006: Bravery

How do I raise my children to the highest moral standard? I practice this daily, the way a surgeon practices medicine. I practice what I've learned about parenthood. I make mistakes, I apologize and try again. The road of raising children is long and hard, but also tremendously rewarding.

"How can you teach children about morality without the Bible?" is an honest question. I don't know where to start. So I don't.

I'm assuming most people haven't actually read much of the bible (because I think then there would be many more skeptics), so to say "the bible is a terrible place to learn about morals!" isn't going to answer the question for them, and most likely close their mind (someone feeling attacked stops listening and starts defending).

This blog is helping me find my voice, so I can answer this question for them. Children are too important to let misinformation stand.
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed. Albert Einstein

A good book to read:
"Ethics Without God" by Kai Nielsen and here is a website with links for atheist families.
http://www.lornacollier.com/Atheistparenting.html
Hope these help some!
Also, trust yourself to be a good example to your children. You are who they learn moral behavior from more than anyone or anything else...religion or not. I have known a lot of christian and non-religious families whose kids have been in all kinds of trouble. We just do the best we can.

thanks for the book, website, and support!!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm the freethoughtmom from New England. Welcome!
  • The word rational means having the ability to reason. Reasoning takes time. Giving yourself the space to think is practically a luxury in our society.

    My father is a logical engineer, my mother a caring nurturer. My handwriting with my dominate hand resembles that of my father, the other, my mother. I feel lucky to have both sides to draw from.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates